Often confused with Pripyat, Chernobyl is actually a city 10 km to the south of Nuclear Power plant. Chernobyl is 90 kilometres northeast of Kiev, and approximately 140 kilometres southwest of the Belorussian city of Gomel.
The city was the administrative center of Chernobyl Raion (district) from 1923 until it was disestablished in 1988. Before its evacuation, the city had about 14,000 residents. As of 2017, the city has a population of 688.
Chernobyl was evacuated on 27 April 1986, 30 hours after the disaster at the Nuclear Power Plant. Today Chernobyl is mostly a ghost town, but a small number of people still reside in houses marked with signs stating: "Owner of this house lives here". Workers on watch and administrative personnel of the Zone of Alienation are stationed in the city on a long-term basis. There are two general stores and a hotel for tourists.
The city has become overgrown and many types of animals live there. In fact, according to census information that was collected over an extended period of time, it is estimated that more mammals live there now than before the disaster.
Sadly as so many people confuse Chernobyl with Pripyat there is very little good information on the town of Chernobyl itself. Everything is about Pripyat. The town of Chernobyl is almost more of a ghost city than Pripyat, despite several hundred people still calling it home.